Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
Home Instructions Before Oral Surgery
Please follow these instructions to prepare for oral surgery with IV Sedation.
- You may not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for eight hours prior to the appointment.
- No smoking for at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home. If the patient is under age 18, that person MUST be a parent or legal guardian.
- A responsible person should remain with the patient for 24 hours after sedation.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following anesthesia.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing, preferably short-sleeves, and comfortable shoes that fit securely, preferably shoes that tie. No flip flops please.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear acrylic nails or colored nail polish.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or upset bowels, please notify the office.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with Dr. Sydlowski, Dr. McCabe, Dr. O’Neill, Dr. Holdship, Dr. Simonton, Dr. Seal or Dr. Amakwe prior to your surgical date for instructions.